Friday, February 6, 2009

I Love My Job

I work at the public library. Yeah, I know the three people that may actually read this diary already know that but I thought it was worth mentioning. Now close your eyes and think of what a library is like, well don't really close your eyes or you won't be able to read, just use your imagination. Our library is NOTHING like what you have in mind. Neither the building nor the staff is like any typical library. We are in an old building that was once a hotel and most recently a furniture store. This fine old building has been "fixed up" into one fabulous looking library. Most visitors comment that it looks like a coffee shop. As for the staff, on weekdays we are a group of four women. We all get along like sisters. We know things about each other: the good the bad and the ugly. We have been together for many years now and I think it shows. We love each other but have our moments like any group of women/sisters do. Come see us some day and you will see how fun a library can be. On any given day we may be yelling at each other and even some of our regular patrons, planning menus, or singing, (show tunes are a particular favorite but no song is safe). We don't ever whisper unless we are planning a practical joke on someone. Our regular patrons are used to our insanity but it is always a shock to newcomers how things are in this library. No SHHHH from us. We are the fun girls of the library world. That being said, just look at what I found when I got to work yesterday. Elizabeth has this strange need to save all of those little lunch bags you get from takeout restaurants. A trait that makes me nuts since I save nothing. While they had too much time on their hands she and Brenda decided to decorate my office door. I nearly wet my pants when I got in and saw this mess. I think I will leave it up for a while. It's kind of artsy don't you think?


No comments: